Dr Tathagata Tells us:
here r some answers to your queries.
1. All streams r difficult to get into. it depends what u want to do whether
your CV projects that in the right wat or not.
2. now-a-days it is probably best to look for Foundation Year jobs, which have become compulsory for UK graduates. Application forms are deanery
based for the Foundation programme. Some deanery have quite a few jobs left
after allocating to local graduates. Mersey Deanery gave out 60 jobs to overseas graduates last year and this year as well. That is where i got my House job(PRHO) last year and subsequently F2( first year SHO) this year.
useful websites. www.mmc.nhs.uk
3. My personal opinion is that to come to UK as early as possible till this Foundation posts lasts. Mersey Deanery has already increased their
medical school intake from 2001-02. So these guys will graduate by 2007 and no jobs will remain at least in the Foundation Programme for us.
4. ATLS/BLS in India is not recgnised by Resuscitation Council, UK. So you
have to do these in the UK. But u can do these in India becoz good for CV.
ATLS is a requisition for MRCS .
5. Internship is equivalent to PRHO in this country. So it is not recognised for
Clearing MRCP1 is good becoz you get points for shortlisting from your CV>
part1 is reallly good for that.
Once you have completed Mrcp2 , u have to do PACES within 2 years, otheerwise part2 is null and void.
6. on visitors visa , it is illegal to work. SO donot even think about it.
7. Once you have cleared Plab1, start applying for attachments from India itself. some of my classmates wre lucky to get attachments from INdia itself
becoz they did that.
Okay bye for now,
has go go for my night shift.
P.S.- some views expressed above r my own as I have experienced in the last
17 months in UK.